Improving Depression & Mental Health through Acupuncture
Improving Depression & Mental Health through Acupuncture
Depression is a common and serious mental health condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Depression causes persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and loss of interest in activities. Depression can also affect your physical health, causing symptoms such as fatigue, insomnia, appetite changes, and chronic pain. Depression can interfere with your daily functioning and quality of life, and increase your risk of suicide.
Depression is usually treated with medication, psychotherapy, or both. However, some people may not respond well to these treatments, or may experience unpleasant side effects or relapse. Some people may also prefer natural and holistic alternatives to treat their depression and improve their mental health.
How It Works
Acupuncture and related treatments are forms of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) that have been used for thousands of years to treat various health conditions. Acupuncture involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to stimulate the flow of energy or qi. Acupuncture can help balance your mood, reduce stress, and enhance your well-being.
Some related treatments that can be used along with acupuncture for depression are:
- Electro-Acupuncture: This is a variation of acupuncture that involves applying a mild electric current to the needles inserted into the acupuncture points. Electro-acupuncture can enhance the effects of acupuncture by stimulating the nerves and brain more effectively. Electro-acupuncture may also increase the production of serotonin and endorphins, which are natural chemicals that regulate mood and relieve pain.
- Moxibustion: This is a technique that involves burning a dried herb called mugwort near the skin or on the acupuncture needles. Moxibustion can help warm up the body, regulate the immune system, and calm the mind. Moxibustion may also improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to the brain, which can help improve cognitive function and mood.
- Herbal Remedies: These are natural substances derived from plants that can be taken orally or applied topically to treat various health conditions. Herbal remedies can help balance the body’s energy, nourish the organs, and harmonize the emotions. Herbal remedies may also have antidepressant, anti-anxiety, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help treat depression.
There is some evidence from research that acupuncture and related treatments can help treat depression and improve mental health. A meta-analysis published in 2019 reviewed 29 studies involving 2,279 participants with depression. The results showed that acupuncture was more effective than medication or sham acupuncture in reducing depression severity and improving response and remission rates.
Another meta-analysis published in 2018 reviewed 11 studies involving 1,424 participants with major depressive disorder (MDD) or postpartum depression (PPD). The results showed that acupuncture combined with antidepressant medication was more effective than antidepressant medication alone in reducing depression severity and improving response and remission rates.
Therefore, acupuncture and related treatments may be effective options for treating depression and improving mental health. By stimulating specific points on the body with needles or other tools, acupuncture and related treatments can balance your energy flow and activate your natural healing potential. Whether you want to prevent depression or recover from it faster, acupuncture and related treatments may be worth a try if you are looking for natural and holistic ways to improve your health and well-being.
The Many Other Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture is not only a way to treat eczema symptoms, but also a way to improve your overall health and well-being. Acupuncture has been used for over 2,500 years as a part of traditional Chinese medicine, and it has been shown to have various benefits for different conditions and ailments.
Some of the benefits of acupuncture are:
- Pain relief: Acupuncture can help reduce pain from various sources, such as arthritis, lower back pain, headache, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis. Acupuncture may stimulate the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain-relieving chemicals, and influence the autonomic nervous system, which can affect breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate.
- Mental health: Acupuncture can help improve mental health by reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. Acupuncture may regulate the levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine, which are involved in mood regulation and emotional well-being.
- Sleep quality: Acupuncture can help improve sleep quality by promoting relaxation and addressing the underlying causes of insomnia, such as pain, stress, or hormonal imbalance. Acupuncture may also affect the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle.
- Allergy relief: Acupuncture can help relieve allergy symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy eyes by modulating the immune system’s response to allergens. Acupuncture may also prevent allergy attacks by strengthening the body’s resistance to environmental triggers.
- Infertility treatment: Acupuncture can help improve fertility by enhancing blood flow to the reproductive organs, balancing hormones, reducing stress, and improving the quality and quantity of eggs and sperm. Acupuncture may also increase the chances of success for assisted reproductive technologies such as in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Addiction recovery: Acupuncture can help with addiction recovery by reducing cravings, withdrawal symptoms, and relapse rates for substances such as nicotine, alcohol, opioids, and cocaine. Acupuncture may stimulate the release of endorphins that can counteract the effects of addictive substances and provide a natural reward system.
- Skin appearance: Acupuncture can help improve skin appearance by increasing blood circulation, collagen production, and skin elasticity. Acupuncture may also reduce inflammation, acne, wrinkles, and sagging skin by balancing hormones and regulating the internal organs that affect skin health.
Acupuncture is a safe and effective way to enhance your health and wellness. By stimulating specific points on your body with thin needles, acupuncture can balance your energy flow and activate your natural healing potential. Whether you want to treat a specific condition or just improve your overall well-being, acupuncture may be a valuable option for you.
What Happens When You Call Accurate Acupuncture?
For your first appointment, plan to spend between 60 and 90 minutes with us. We will discuss your medical history, experience with acupuncture, current issues, and what you hope to accomplish with treatment. We will also explain our procedures to help you feel comfortable and secure during your session.
It’s important to note that chronic conditions typically require a series of treatments before patients experience noticeable, lasting relief of symptoms. In other words, bring an open mind to your session and give the treatment time to work.
If you’re ready to learn more, feel free to call our office any time. Or, complete our contact form and we’ll answer your question and help you book an appointment.