Treating Tennis Elbow with Acupuncture, Moxibustion, Herbal Remedies
Treating Tennis Elbow Pain with Acupuncture, Moxibustion
Tennis elbow, also known as lateral epicondylitis, is a common condition that affects the tendons that attach the forearm muscles to the outer part of the elbow. Tennis elbow causes pain and tenderness on the outside of the elbow, especially when gripping or lifting objects. Tennis elbow is often caused by overuse or repetitive strain of the forearm muscles, such as from playing tennis or other racquet sports, typing, gardening, or carpentry.
Tennis elbow can be a frustrating and debilitating condition that interferes with daily activities and quality of life. While conventional treatments such as rest, ice, anti-inflammatory drugs, steroid injections, and physical therapy may provide some relief, they may not be enough to resolve the underlying problem or prevent recurrence. Moreover, some of these treatments may have unwanted side effects or risks.
How It Works
Acupuncture and related treatments are natural and holistic alternatives that can help treat tennis elbow pain and promote healing. Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to stimulate the flow of energy or qi. Acupuncture can help reduce inflammation, relax muscles, improve blood circulation, and release natural painkillers in the body.
Some related treatments that can be used along with acupuncture for tennis elbow are:
- Electro-Acupuncture: This is a variation of acupuncture that involves applying a mild electric current to the needles inserted into the acupuncture points. Electro-acupuncture can enhance the effects of acupuncture by stimulating the nerves and muscles more effectively. Electro-acupuncture may also increase the production of endorphins, which are natural pain-relieving chemicals.
- Moxibustion: This is a technique that involves burning a dried herb called mugwort near the skin or on the acupuncture needles. Moxibustion can help warm up the body, regulate the immune system, and relieve pain. Moxibustion may also improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to the injured tendons.
- Herbal Remedies: These are natural substances derived from plants that can be taken orally or applied topically to treat various health conditions. Herbal remedies can help balance the body’s energy, nourish the tendons, and reduce inflammation. Herbal remedies may also have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant properties that can help heal tennis elbow.
There is some evidence from research that acupuncture and related treatments can help treat tennis elbow pain and improve function. A study published in 2018 compared two groups of patients with tennis elbow: one group received acupuncture plus moxibustion, and the other group received electroacupuncture plus rehabilitation training. The results showed that both groups had significant improvements in pain intensity, grip strength, range of motion, and quality of life after four weeks of treatment. However, the acupuncture plus moxibustion group had better outcomes than the electroacupuncture plus rehabilitation training group.
Another study published in 2017 compared three groups of patients with tennis elbow: one group received electroacupuncture (EA), one group received sham electroacupuncture (SEA), and one group received no intervention (NI). The results showed that both EA and SEA groups had significant reductions in pain intensity and disability after six weeks of treatment compared to the NI group. However, only the EA group had significant improvements in pressure pain threshold and grip strength compared to the SEA and NI groups.
Therefore, acupuncture and related treatments may be effective options for treating tennis elbow pain and improving function. By stimulating specific points on the body with needles or other tools, acupuncture and related treatments can balance your energy flow and activate your natural healing potential. Whether you want to prevent tennis elbow or recover from it faster, acupuncture and related treatments may be worth a try if you are looking for natural and holistic ways to improve your health and well-being.
The Many Other Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture is not only a way to treat eczema symptoms, but also a way to improve your overall health and well-being. Acupuncture has been used for over 2,500 years as a part of traditional Chinese medicine, and it has been shown to have various benefits for different conditions and ailments.
Some of the benefits of acupuncture are:
- Pain relief: Acupuncture can help reduce pain from various sources, such as arthritis, lower back pain, headache, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis. Acupuncture may stimulate the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain-relieving chemicals, and influence the autonomic nervous system, which can affect breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate.
- Mental health: Acupuncture can help improve mental health by reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. Acupuncture may regulate the levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine, which are involved in mood regulation and emotional well-being.
- Sleep quality: Acupuncture can help improve sleep quality by promoting relaxation and addressing the underlying causes of insomnia, such as pain, stress, or hormonal imbalance. Acupuncture may also affect the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle.
- Allergy relief: Acupuncture can help relieve allergy symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy eyes by modulating the immune system’s response to allergens. Acupuncture may also prevent allergy attacks by strengthening the body’s resistance to environmental triggers.
- Infertility treatment: Acupuncture can help improve fertility by enhancing blood flow to the reproductive organs, balancing hormones, reducing stress, and improving the quality and quantity of eggs and sperm. Acupuncture may also increase the chances of success for assisted reproductive technologies such as in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Addiction recovery: Acupuncture can help with addiction recovery by reducing cravings, withdrawal symptoms, and relapse rates for substances such as nicotine, alcohol, opioids, and cocaine. Acupuncture may stimulate the release of endorphins that can counteract the effects of addictive substances and provide a natural reward system.
- Skin appearance: Acupuncture can help improve skin appearance by increasing blood circulation, collagen production, and skin elasticity. Acupuncture may also reduce inflammation, acne, wrinkles, and sagging skin by balancing hormones and regulating the internal organs that affect skin health.
Acupuncture is a safe and effective way to enhance your health and wellness. By stimulating specific points on your body with thin needles, acupuncture can balance your energy flow and activate your natural healing potential. Whether you want to treat a specific condition or just improve your overall well-being, acupuncture may be a valuable option for you.
What Happens When You Call Accurate Acupuncture?
For your first appointment, plan to spend between 60 and 90 minutes with us. We will discuss your medical history, experience with acupuncture, current issues, and what you hope to accomplish with treatment. We will also explain our procedures to help you feel comfortable and secure during your session.
It’s important to note that chronic conditions typically require a series of treatments before patients experience noticeable, lasting relief of symptoms. In other words, bring an open mind to your session and give the treatment time to work.
If you’re ready to learn more, feel free to call our office any time. Or, complete our contact form and we’ll answer your question and help you book an appointment.